Friday 6 December 2013

What to Get the Book Lovers on Your List-Part One

I realize that I have finished exams but due to some other stuff haven't written for a bit. So here are my recommendations for the reader on your Holiday list. I realize I am late for Chanukah but I was busy.

Sports Lover- numerous books fit in this category but I'll stick with the two I've been able to read.

The Game-Ken Dryden
The Game is the quintessential hockey book written by Canadiens great Ken Dryden. It is about his last year. Reading it you realize how smart Dryden is and why he is a go to guy for the media whenever something controversial happens. This is a must read even if you are a Bruins fan.

The Greatest Game-Todd Denault

This book is also Habs centric, but it is fabulous for telling the history of hockey in the Soviet Union as well as how the last Habs dynasty was built. Talks about the rise of Philly and Boston through physicality. It cumulates with the historic 1975 game between the Habs and the Soviets.

Gretzky's Ghost-Stephen Brunt

This book is a collection of stories from Brunt; titled from the time he acted as Gretzky's ghost writer. It features some really neat stories (like the rise of Lafleur) and is an easy read.

The Hockey Sweater-Roch Carrier

How can I leave out this classic. Perfect for any Canadian of any age because it is awesome. It is Canadiens centric but you should read it even you you love the Leafs.

There are defiantly more awesome sports books but I chose to feature three I have really enjoyed.

For the Canadian War history lover. This is totally up my ally and it was because of books that I am a history lover today.

Vimy- Pierre Berton

Vimy is an amazing book about the preparation and battle at Vimy Ridge. The details are vivid and there are parts that are shocking and very real. It is not super gory though so anyone should be able to handle it.

Unlikely Soldiers-Jonathan Vance

Tales that you have never heard before about Canadian spies in France during WWII. I devoured it in about two days because it is so engaging. It is the tale of two young men who never should have been involved in the war effort.

Finally for the person who is hard to buy for.

These books are all easy reads and are really cool ideas for anyone on your list.

PostSecret Books-Frank Warren

These books are compilations of anonymous secrets sent to Frank and then published in book form. I read them and then my dad did too. Everyone will enjoy them. There are currently 5 books published.

The Book of Awesome and The Book of Even More Awesome-Neil Pasricha

Short quips about everyday things that are awesome. Really fast sections to read. Best book I've travelled with because long periods of concentration are not needed.


1 comment:

  1. I made a mistake, Gretzky's Tears is written by Roy MacGregor not Stephen Brunt. Carry on

    ReplyDelete