Monday 23 December 2013

More

When I look back on my life I realize how lucky I am, but I wish there was more I could do. I grew up in a middle class family where I always had more than enough. I still live at home. My parents are paying for my schooling. I have never not had enough. But I wish I could do more.

I am in education and I took a course called the History of Inner City Education. It was a course that you learned through discussion. I took almost no notes and left it wondering if I was doing the right thing. How could I help all the people that needed it? Was teaching them really going to help? I came out of that class with my eyes wide open but also with a growing sense of frustration because the resources you had access to was dictated by your geography. There is different levels of support for kids in the Inner City than there is for kids that live in poorer areas outside of the Inner City. I want to help, but I don't know how.

I take the bus everywhere. I have access to a car (sometimes) and I am a busy student. So I do what I can. I donate food to Winnipeg Harvest and the Christmas Cheer Board. I try to retweet anything that will help organizations that help people in need but I feel like I should do more. But I don't know what more is. So I do a little and hopes it helps a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment