Wednesday 11 December 2013

My Definitive Ranking of Christmas Movies

I love Christmas movies and because of this I have decided to rank my favourite movies. Warning: this is cartoon heavy.

1. Miracle on 34th Street (original)
I love this movie because it is about rediscovering youth and imagination. It is not just about Santa being real, but about how Christmas is as magical as we want it to be. And the original is just awesome in black and white.

2. Love Actually
One of my favourite movies, the idea that we fall in love so easily is sweet. I have watched the movie over 20 times since it was released and it gets me every time. The intertwining story lines are beautiful and the airport scenes are the best.

3. It's a Wonderful Life
This is where it gets hard for me but this timeless movie does it for me. The realization that you do matter no matter how useless you think you are is something that should be mentioned more than it is.

4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
The movie is short, sweet, and simple. The message is "even the coldest heart can warm when taught love". And the original is better than the remake of course.

5. Charlie Brown
My favourite screw up is one of my favourite movies. He can't do anything right and for that he finds the spirit of Christmas.

6. A Christmas Carol (original)
Timeless and great, this movie features ghosts and regrets. And the realization that it is never too late to change your outlook.

7. Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too
Winnie the Pooh is still my favourite Disney character and I have watched this movie every year on CBC, even as a teenager. Pooh screws up and tries to bring Christmas to his friends anyways. Silly old bear.


No comments:

Post a Comment