Friday 22 November 2013

Why I'll Never Melt Sugar (or the Dangers of Glue Guns)

I am somewhat klutzy. My knees are perpetually bruised at the ripe old age of 20 and I can never tell you how they have become bruised. I am also a pre-service teacher in an integrated education program meaning I take education classes from my first year on instead of doing a post-bach. Because of this I am in a grade 4/5 classroom this year and sometimes do those annoying jobs that teachers don't have time for like hanging art on the wall. Except this is harder when you are 5'3", a klutz, and using a glue gun.

I was quietly hanging up show boxes while math was being corrected doing the seemingly easy job of hot gluing shoe boxes on the wall over computers. Again this is an easy job except I am terrible with hot glue guns and it showed. Though everything stuck to the wall I managed to track glue strings over the computers and get some on the counter-top. Then I struck and managed to a) get a large amount of glue on my thumb, and b) not remove it quickly.

This incident led to me having to leave the classroom three times. Twice to run my finger under water and the last time to get ice. I blame that on me trying to "tough it out" and not take care of the burn immediately (smart move Cara). Finally I was given Polysporm and sent was okay. But it is embarrassing when you have to go to the office to get an ice pack for yourself. But they will let me teach one day and I will be avoiding glue guns because they poise a danger to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment